PIZZA: SYNONYMOUS OF ITALY IN THE WORLD
- PIZZA is probably the best known Italian word abroad, before cappuccino, spaghetti and espresso.
- A HISTORY SPANNING OVER A THOUSAND YEARS: The word "pizza" appears for the first time in a document dated 997 in Gaeta, a fishing town in the region of Lazio. Later it is found in documents of other Italian cities such as Rome, L'Aquila, Pesaro.
- FROM "PITTA" TO "PIZZA": In the sixteenth century in Naples, a flat bread was given the name of pizza, from the word "Pitta", the Middle Eastern bread. Pizza became a very simple and popular food that spread quickly. Before the 17th century the pizza was covered with fresh dairy products, like ricotta. Only later was it enriched with olive oil, cheeses, tomatoes or anchovies. Alexandre Dumas (father) described the diversity of pizza toppings in 1843. Over the centuries the imagination of the Neapolitans has expressed itself to the maximum by creating many types of pizza, now a recipe exported and revisited all over the world.
- MARINARA, THE FIRST RED PIZZA: The marinara, is the oldest of the red pizzas and is prepared with tomato, garlic, oregano, and extra virgin olive oil.
- MARGHERITA, THE QUEEN OF PIZZA: The pizza Margherita was born in June 1889, in honor of the Queen of Italy, Margherita di Savoia, visiting Naples. The chef, Raffaele Esposito, prepared the "Pizza Margherita"; a pizza topped with tomatoes, mozzarella and basil, to represent the colors of the Italian flag. It became the most famous pizza in the world.
5 million: the number of pizzas that are baked every day in Italy.
Wheat flour type 00, sourdough starter, brewer's yeast, ascorbic acid.
You need: 500 g pizza mix, 315 ml water, 10 g salt, 2 spoons extra virgin olive oil.
Preparation: knead all the ingredients in a spiral mixer or by hand, until the dough is smooth and elastic. Let the dough rest for 20 minutes covered by some plastic wrap. Roll out the dough on a previously greased tray. Cover it and let it rise for 90 minutes inside the oven, switched off. Season the dough with tomato sauce. Bake in a preheated oven at 425°f for 15 minutes. Take out from the oven, add fresh mozzarella cheese and season as you prefer. Put back into the oven for other 7-8 minutes until all ingredients are completely baked.
|Nutrition Facts||Per 1/4 cup (30 g)||%Daily Value*||Read more|
*5% or less is a little, 15% or more is a lot.
THE BIRTHPLACE OF PIZZA
The city of Naples, the capital of the Campania region, stands in the shadow of Mt. Vesuvius, the active volcano famous for having destroyed the ancient city of Pompeii. Stunningly situated overlooking the Gulf of Naples, every corner of the city is home to works of inestimable artistic and historical value.
The multi-layered history of Naples is reflected in its architectural marvels, like the Cathedral of San Gennaro, famous for its majestic frescoes, the sumptuous Royal Palace and the city’s landmark medieval castle, Castel Nuovo (or Maschio Angioino).
Gulf of Naples, Campania.
Submit your review